View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 06:26 PM

My favorite baseball talk was actually somewhat of a Boxing talk.

I was at a dinner with my dad - - celebrating the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Yankees (not sure but it might have been a '55 World Series dinner) - and at our table was Pee Wee Reese. This was not too long after I had worked at Ring magazine - and boxing was one of my favorite topics of conversation.

At every table, there was another baseball great. The whole room was filled with baseball legends. Pee Wee Reese had his son with him at our table.

As it happened.... Pee Wee Reese's son worked in film (boxing film). I sat there and had a great conversation about past and current boxers with Pee Wee and his son. I was in my glory. One of the people at my table remarked at how nice the World Series ring was that Pee Wee was wearing. Without hesitation, he took it off and passed it across the table. My friend at the table tried it on - and then passed it to me.

So.... I put the World Series Ring on.

Just about then - my dad came over to me and said "Joe.... there are a lot of baseball legends here - you should go around and get some autographs"

I answered:
"I am sitting here with Pee Wee Reese. We are talking my favorite subject.... boxing....... and, I am wearing a World Series ring. I am not going anywhere!"

The conversation and dinner was so great... I don't think I ever got out of my chair. I don't miss any of the autographs I could have gotten. Not one bit.