View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 08:36 AM
Steve Birmingham

If that's it, they probably got a nice bulk deal from PSA.

I bought a few signature rookies unsigned sets from someone who had a bunch of the stuff he bought when they went out of business. I bet the same sort of thing happened when Edge went out, all that stuff they had left had to go somewhere.

So figure they bought the leftovers for a few bucks, sent in around 36000 for grading. Maybe $2 each? maybe less? Add a couple old packs they get for pennies and a hundred random commons. Total cost of the product around 2.50 including the packaging? Then they sell it for 5 at wholesale and it retails for $10. profit around 90K........Not bad, and they sell other stuff too. Better profit if the retail is higher.

There's lots of "deals" out there if you can spend big and move the stuff quickly. When one local shop that did some wholesaling to other shops went out of business the owner sold boxes really cheap. But wouldn't go under $2 a box since he had a standing offer from a liquidator for that much. I could have bought 5 pallets full of 1990 Donruss baseball for 2.01 a box. (8.3 cents a pack) The problem of course would be selling that much.

Another local place is moving and offloaded 2.5 million recent commons

Steve B