View Single Post
Old 04-12-2018, 05:56 PM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I'm not sure Musial is getting respect here; a PSA FLIP is getting the respect here. That's what I think Pete was referring to when he said it was stupid. I agree that we should not attack other collectors for buying whatever they want, but (Pete correct me if I'm wrong here) I think he was referring to the practice of paying insane amounts for a flip. If you shoved Peter's psa 7 in that 10 holder, the guy still would have bought it for 28k. Thats the Problem. Pete isn't mocking fellow CARD collectors; he's addressing the logic of collecting FLIPS.

I think there is a fine line between insulting fellow collectors and having an educated discussion on a baseball card forum about how wise it is to spend multiple thousands of dollars on a card because of the holder it is in (see the black swamp find thread). Use of the word "stupid" may cross that line, but that's Pete's opinion. Part of the purpose of our forum is to share opinions. I would bet the buyer has a Musial registry and needed the 10. Good for him. He's got the money for it and he needs it to improve his registry. Nothing wrong with that. Problem is that we know that card could be broken out, resubmitted, and get a 9. Then we must ask "is the CARD worth 28k?" At the end of the day, if high grade Musials is what that collector collects, then God bless him. He chose a hell of a player. But do not be mistaken. A PSA 10 holder got the respect here, not the Hall of Famer the card depicts.
Hilarious. You are paying for the number, not the card. Thats why you can debate the merits of a card all you want, but in the end it's a 10 by some guy in psa. His buddy working in the cubical next to him may call it a 9. In the end you pay for it, or not. Thats what grading has done to the hobby. Among other very good things im not slamming grading altogether, but see it for what it is, you pay for the number.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk