View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 07:41 PM
Jason B.

Growing up in Minnesota as a boy during the frenzy of the 1987 and '91 World Series wins, it was an incredible time.
Kirby was at the heart of everything. He had such a positive enthusiasm for the game, everyone just loved him for it.

We used to go to Twins Spring Training every year from '87 - '92, and for most of those years the players had no choice but to pass the fans on their way into Tinker Field in Orlando. Have tons of autographs from those days on cards, books and even a signed ball with most of the '91 Twins including Kirby.

Best memory of that was when my Mom, Dad and I were getting autographs and a couple of pictures from the players as they walked through the parking lot into Tinker Field. Just then Calvin Griffith, the former owner, passed through the lot. My Mom asked him politely to sign a card binder I was filling with autographed cards. He replied " I never signed anything but the players' checks". My mild-mannered Mother then proceeded to firmly lecture him on how the fans paid his paycheck, and he sheepishly signed the binder.

I like the plain-old '87 Donruss for capturing Kirby's joie de vivre
kp87.jpg

And a few slabbed favorites from my collection as well:
83034.jpg84021.jpg93034.jpg
WTB: '15 CJ Wagner & WaJo (PSA 2-3) | '33 Sport Kings Babe Ruth (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)