Thread: Every year
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 01:28 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
My son's soccer team this fall had a coach that wasn't a dad of one of the kids. His own kids are now in college, but he was willing to coach anyway because he loves the game. My son is 8, and the coach said he's interested in continuing to coach the group as they get older. Good coaches can be hard to find, and I bet your skills would be welcome on a younger team (although perhaps soccer in the US is not a very good proxy for hockey in Canada!).
I have thought about that, Garth, and may just do it next season/year depending on how this winter goes with snowmobiling? Right now I have been fairly busy with retirement things, wills, finances and a host of other things that need doing off the Honey Do list as well as my own things.

Also, I currently have a bud whose son just started playing hockey this year at the age of 10. Starting at such an age has its disadvantages and it, according to his Dad, really bothers his son that he can't skate very good compared to the other kids on his team.
Not that I am a great skater myself but I believe I can help him with some things that I have learned over the years running practices and drills.
The fact remains, however, even if I can't teach him much, just being on the ice is what he needs the most.
My bud is seperated and neither he nor his ex know how to skate very well, or at all, so with the issues of work, who has him, etc, etc, getting him on the ice for a public skate or stick and puck is rather difficult.

I haven't ran it by his Mother yet but hopefully, when I get up with things, she will be receptive to it?
He's a great kid and I think both of us will enjoy it so I am looking forward to it.