View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Default E90-1.....and the "Dirty Thirty" theory

Posted By: Scott Gross

A few personal opinions (hardly written in stone):

Keeler:
Red replaced Pink just because it had better contrast.
NYN replaced Red (or was added along with Red) for team change. But, why update a player at the end of his career ???????? Because he was WEE WILLIE KEELER !!!!!!!!!! Hit'em where they ain't. The Baltimore Chop. At the time highest BA in history (tied with Delahanty). He was a popular dude.

Trimmed/angle cut:
Bob's Walsh above is a beautiful card with an angle cut (adds to charm IMO). The more I look at mine, the more I am convinced it is trimmed (angle on top not as harsh as on bottom). ((which is fine, I bought it as a trimmed card, and was happy get it)) My Mitchell is obviously trimmed. I do not think these were trimmed to fool anyone, or trimmed to get rid of angel. I think they were trimmed (like many other caramels) to fit the standard Tobacco size (as discussed on this board before).

.... three Walsh scans, maybe not so tough ....

Something else to keep you up at night:
Turkey Mike Donlin played for NYN from 1904-11, but not during the 1907, 1909, or 1910 seasons (career in vaudeville, and "other" activities). His card is with NYN, and is a semi-toughie. QUESTION: Was he printed in the first run or the last run ?????
He could arguably be in the first run, since he played with NYN 1904-06 and 1908 (as with Butler, who's career ended in 1908, and Seigle, who's ended in 1906). Conversely argued he was in the last run to recognize his return to the team (like Keeler, a popular player).

Once, again, I don't know, but it keeps me honest ......