View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Steve Birmingham

Tough call on that one.

The black on the back would seem to be from a marker for sure. Not a printed mark.

Where it gets tough is deciding whether the green is actually over the marker. If the marker has water based ink it might be repelled by the oil based printers ink. An oil based marker would cover the oil based ink.

The second set of scans really looks like it shows some black visible under the green. What a very close look would show is if the black appears to be under because it's filling in small holes in the green.

This is the sort of thing I'd file under "cool but hard to prove" could a Topps employee have scribbled on the cardboard with a marker and that cardboard got printed on? Yes, Topps was pretty lax back then. Even into the early90's.
I have a couple cards that were marked by crayon that I got from packs. I know they're for real, but if it wasn't a glossy card with the gloss printed over the crayon It would be impossible to prove.
Another would be the two halves of a hockey card that came out of the pack torn in half. Saw it pulled, but it's impossible to prove other than that it has no other wrinkles and is cut nice and clean. I've tried duplicating it, but can't. Still a very tough thing to explain.

Steve B