View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 03:37 AM
And*y Quig!ey

I agree that this Mays card seems to be a good illustration that grades are mainly objective assessments of condition (not subjective assessments of appeal). As David said, this card has flaws that will be evident with the card in hand unless the grade is a huge swing-and-a-miss by PSA; which is possible but unlikely to me especially since I think human nature would cause a grader to take a little extra care knowing he's grading a '52 Mays.

Thus, to me it's a question of the nature of the flaws that can't be seen on the scan. Based on the '2' grading standard (copied below) I guess there may be creases and little to no surface gloss. Before buying this Mays card I would definitely seek a lot of details - and probably additional scans - from the seller. In my experience a number of sellers will provide you a fair description of the flaws if you ask.

When buying a low grade card I think of the Ott scanned below. It has a raised ridge, not just a crease, running the length of the card through his face. It's visible, but not very obvious on the scan. The way I have it displayed - in a case along with other lower grade DS HOFers - the flaw doesn't stand out and I'm okay with it. Naturally, my standards for a $2,000+ card would be very different.

A PSA Good 2 card's corners show accelerated rounding and surface wear is starting to become obvious. A good card may have scratching, scuffing, light staining, or chipping of enamel on obverse. There may be several creases. Original gloss may be completely absent. Card may show considerable discoloration. Centering must be 90/10 or better on the front and back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935 DS Ott.jpg (72.0 KB, 412 views)

Last edited by ajquigs; 05-31-2016 at 09:56 AM.