View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 11:45 AM

Todd--Honestly, I was not trying to stick the blame on Jimmy Carter. I liked President Carter. I was using his administration as a point of reference. As for double-digit inflation, I would have to check the numbers because I thought I remember seeing a chart of inflation through the years, and the late 70s stuck in my mind. Perhaps I am confusing the chart I saw with the mortgage interest rates. Anyway, I am sure you are correct about skyrocketing inflation taking place during the years of President Ford, and the early years of President Reagan. We must include the last term of President Nixon as well.

However, I stand by my opinion about why Topps would test the reduction in size of their cards to save money. Any time a business is contemplating a major change such as this, it is to reduce overhead. Perhaps Marvin Miller had negotiated a better deal for the players with Topps. The recession of 73-75 was tough. Coca-Cola stock sank about 74% during the '73-'75 recession. Price of a car shot up dramatically during the 70s. In '73 I recall going to see "The Sting" and paying $3.50. Never had I paid so much to see a movie.

I never saw the MINIs, because by '75 I had become virtually disinterested in current MLB, and was enraptured with vintage baseball cards and baseball history. I believe around that time I was doing a research project to convince the Veterans' Committee of the Baseball HOF to enshrine Addie Joss. Never got it done, but at least they enshrined Mr. Joss.

Well Todd, have a pleasant day. --Brian Powell