Thread: Clayton Kershaw
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 10:48 AM
Bill Gregory

What I meant to say was not that Kershaw couldn't pitch any better, but that I didn't see how any pitcher could humanly pitch better than Kershaw is now.

At age 28, Kershaw is better than Pedro was at the same point in his career. The things both could account for themselves-preventing walks, home runs, and hit batters, while causing strikeouts--Kershaw is better. His FIP to date in his age 28 season is 2.57. Pedro Martinez' FIP through 2000 was 2.81. Martinez had a WHIP of 1.028 over the same span. Kershaw's WHIP is 1.019. And Kershaw did that while throwing 104 2/3 more innings than Martinez.

Then, you take into consideration that Kershaw is a lefty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Exactly my point. What we are witnessing right now is probably the best Kershaw will be.

After peaking (sans PEDs) almost all players digress toward retirement.

Hence, their career figures are not as good as their peaks...which is why they call them that, I guess.

I'm all about celebrating Kershaw especially since he's a lefty, but Pedro is still the best I ever saw.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.