View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 12:29 PM

I will never forget seeing Jackie Robinson at a doubleheader at the Polo Grounds in New York, on the Fourth of July in 1956. The Dodgers were the reigning World Champions,full of big stars, including Duke Snider, PeeWee Reese, Gil Hodges, Roy Campanella, Carl Furillo, Carl Erskine and Don Newcombe, but none were bigger than the great Jackie Robinson. I looked forward very much to seeing him, because he was getting older, his playing time was much reduced, and 1956 was widely rumored to be his last year (which turned out to be true). My father took me to the doubleheader early, because we loved to watch batting practice before the game, and we saw Snider, Campanella, Hodges and Willie Mays of the Giants hit ball after ball into the stands on both sides. But Jackie Robinson, to my great disappointment, was nowhere to be seen. Finally, after practice was over, perhaps thirty minutes before game time, we saw Robinson walk down the steps of the clubhouse, which was located in straightaway center field, and onto the grass of the playing field, from where he walked slowly and directly toward the Dodger dugout, which I believe was on the first base side of the infield. Jackie Robinson had a very distinct manner of walking, in which he sort of raised his knees higher than normal, and looked as though he was marching, rather than merely being out for a stroll. Everyone in the stands watched him, as he traversed the 500 feet or so from the distant clubhouse to the Dodger dugout, and he got a standing ovation from everyone, including the Giants fans, who were probably actually in the minority on that day.

The Dodgers, to my delight, won both games, I think by scores of 10-0 and 11-1, with Duke Snider hitting three home runs. Jackie Robinson played, but did nothing remarkable. But just the opportunity to watch him walk in was worth the price of admission (which was $2.10).