View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 05:40 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
I would like to clarify a couple of things from my post. First of all, I was referring to the submission of raw T206 cards. If SGC's fees are now considerably higher than PSA's, why would you submit to SGC? That defeats the purpose of why you would be using SGC in the first place, doesn't it? Secondly, most of my T206s are high end grade wise. There is a much higher price difference between PSA and SGC with those types of grades (7's and higher), versus middle to lower grades (1's-6's), where the price difference is not that terribly different at all. I realize that most T206 collectors fall into the later, so I thought this was important to note....
That makes a bit more sense.

I think both companies have their strengths and weaknesses. All of which have been hashed over many times.

For the lower end collectors, it's not much of a change. I usually sent stuff in to SGC on specials, may not do more since the decent specials are now "members only". But most of what I would send in would qualify for the $10 fee so it's only a couple bucks more than I was getting on specials. They've done some stuff lately that I don't like at all. So has PSA.

I can see the PSA/SGC stuff mattering a lot more for higher grades and more expensive cards.

If I was organized enough I'd see about starting my own grading service. It would be tough to get any real traction, but with the right things to make it better I think there's room for at least a couple more.
A much higher end one. Although not quite as high end on fees as SGC is now (Maybe, I mean if you've got the dough to have a 100K card 3K plus for the grading isn't really all that much. )

And a lower end one something like BCCG but not as cheesy and confusing. Just lower fees for cheaper stuff.

Steve B