View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Default Weird Old Judge Defect / Bubney 75

Posted By: Paul

A few weeks ago, Bubney75 offered several Old Judge cards of high caliber, but non-HOF, players. There was a lot of speculation about the legitimacy of this seller, and I mentioned that I would let the group know when my card arrived.

Well, it came yesterday. I had been concerned from the scan that it might be trimmed. Though I can't say for sure, I don't think it has been. It has corner wear in the places where I thought there might have been trimming.

But it did have another defect that did not show up in the scan at all. The front of the card is literally separating from the back, almost like someone sliced a knife between two layers of the card -- from the top of the card about 3/5 of the way to the bottom. The front half of the card is as thick as the back half. So, it is definitely not a case of the photo separating from the backing. The photo and the front half of the backing are separating from the back half of the backing.

I don't know how this happened, but I think it must have happened long ago. The card is warped, like many OJs I've seen. Both the front half and the back half are warped identically, so I think the slicing must have occurred before the warping -- presumably a century ago.

HAVE ANY OF YOU EVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE?