View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 07:38 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
It isn't beyond belief to see the autograph hobby disappear completely over time as the prices rise higher and higher, with experiences being impersonal and players making so much money that signing autographs is no longer a necessary/desired alternate revenue or charity stream and/or an honor for them, but a nuisance and not worth their time. Add in the increased risk of forgeries and it kind of loses it's appeal anyway.
The argument that "players making so much money that signing autographs is no longer a necessary/desired alternate revenue or charity stream and/or an honor for them, but a nuisance and not worth their time" is a nonstarter. That argument has been made for well over a decade and yet quite a few of the big salary names hit the autograph circuit. Why? Unless, the player invested well, or has another revenue stream there is a need for cash inflow or the base is being eroded. One would think that there is an upper limit for what collectors are willing to pay but thus far collectors are still paying up. I said "no way" to the prices of Piazza, The big Unit, Chipper, and next week at CSA I will take a miss on Big Papi. $250 a throw for that scribble? No, thanks. I can live with not having a few current hall of fame players on a piece or two. To quote a collecting friend "I don't have Babe Ruth either."

I agree that forgeries are prevalent throughout the hobby which is why early on I decided to get every autograph in person. As the years have rolled by, I relaxed the rule a bit, dabbling in mail order from time to time or having a trusted fellow collector get a sig for me.