View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 06:46 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger View Post
I don't think it's ever been consistently profitable to open boxes and sell what's inside. If it were, the market would push the price of the boxes up.
This is spot on. The market sets a price on modern boxes where it's more likely than not that the cards in the box won't rise to that amount.

Anecdotally, I do some flipping on COMC and in the past two years have used some proceeds to buy boxes of Topps Heritage through Blowout Cards. I got very lucky and had some good hits, because otherwise, I would have come nowhere near recouping the cost of the boxes from the card proceeds. Of course, my costs for the boxes also include submission fees for putting the cards for sale through COMC, too.

On the positive side, part of why I have done this is because I think there is some emotional value in ripping open a box of cards. It's fun to get a chance to be a kid again - although I'm not ripping open cases and cases like the guys who chase the big modern parallels, etc. I think opening that much product would become a chore.