View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 07:03 AM
John Michael

Default My proposed hobby book...........................

.......or booklet. A book covering reprint cards and sets. In may sound silly to some but, I can't be alone in my interest. I can't help but notice that those frowned upon reprint sets, issued in the eighties have jumped in value while regular issues from that same period have languished.
Why the need? To create a comprehensive guide in order to help with identifying all the various companies that made these cards and the year(s) in which they were released-- example, the T 206 issued by Renata Galasso Vs. the less expensive to obtain and superior in quality Card Collector Company set. TCMA and Topps were two more major players with a long history of reprint preductions. Upper Deck also got in the act. And all the various T 206 Honus Wagner promo cards, the list could go on and on.
Topps and UD issues are often covered in price (and information) guides, the other major issuers are not. Also helpful would be the distinction between reprint issues and the more imfamous (and well done) counterfit cards-- examples, the Pete Rose rookie and Nolan Ryan rookie cards that flooded the market in the late eighties.
Lastly, why did Topps feel a need to stop their archives series after three issue? I really wish it had continued. I know, I must not be a serious collector if I feel this way.......but for those that would use the "it would devalue the original cards" argument I'd say the evidence point in the other direction-- they spark interest.