View Single Post
Old 06-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Default undervalued cards?

Posted By: Judge Dred

What should drive the market price is demand. To me, demand is usually a function of how popular the series of cards is to the collectors. If there is no interest then the demand will remain low and so will prices. Something to consider is that as more and more of the tougher (or more popular) sets become pricey then collectors will probably migrate to cards that were aesthetically less desireable (cheaper) to them to begin with and then the prices of those cards will begin to increase to reflect the new interest in those sets.

I suppose that a speculation feeding frenzy could create a temporary market for certain cards but if there is no further interest in the set then the prices will decrease accordingly. If you were a speculator in those cards and spent a lot of money "hoarding" them then you better be happy with what you purchased because you just might not be able to recoup your "investment" if the interest in that set drops and people don't want them anymore.

I buy what I like. Here's an example - I don't really care for the E107 series of cards so I don't buy them. I don't care how much people think they are worth, I just don't like the way they look. It doesn't mean I would turn one down at a cheap price because I know I could sell it and then use the money to buy something I do enjoy.