View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default sorry

if I somehow posted an inappropriate "outing" thread given that it is about a bat in a current auction. On our sister side it is pretty much acceptable to legitimately question and explore a lot listing in a major auction house. I don't own it - don't know who does - have no axe to grind with the seller - not associated with the AH in any way - just trying to learn from them what's gots the know-how.
Looking for thoughts as I want to include a nice example of an early bat with my stuff. I thought this was a good candidate for me as it has a great look and isn't just some run of the mill generic early bat - I feel the Spalding stamping makes it a little more special, giving it an air of legitimacy. It's important to me that my bat be 1880's or earlier. I know little about bats other than what I've gleaned from a couple of my equipment reference books - I will be re-visiting them later today. Curious why the stamping might not be legitimate?
Thanks to all who have responded so far. Hope to hear more thoughts. I've learned a good deal here - I've tried to contribute where I can to make it a reciprocal arrangement - looking forward to whatever might be added to this thread as I ponder the acquisition. If it isn't to be THIS bat - likely it will be something similar. Knowledge is power. If you have a beautiful early bat at a price the majority of informed collectors would agree was fair - I suppose I'm listening - unless that too is against the rules - in which case my fingers are in my ears......