View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 04:06 PM

I'm mostly kidding but I do think there is some truth to what I said. Consider why baby boomers collect cards. It's a connection to their childhood. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a baby boomer who collects vintage now that didn't buy packs when they were a kid.

Kids aren't buying packs anymore. When was the last time you saw a box of Topps at the gas station, or the grocery store? Even if kids are collecting, think about whats being pushed at them. Autographed cards, limited edition cards, game used cards etc. The Allen Ginter and sets like it are popular but they're popular amongst the older crowd. What child is going to chase the Napolean piece of hair card?

I have always been interested in pre-war cards because I'm naturally interested in history. However, I am the only person my age I know with a collection and I'm no shut in. I don't see the numbers amongst my generation that could possibly replace the baby boomers. Less collectors, more supply equal less demand and lower prices.

It's good and bad. It's good in the sense that people will collect because they want to collect, not because the cards are worth money. It's bad because collecting circles get smaller and smaller. But hey, every card we pay a lot of money for now was once virually worthless. And people still saved them. That's what I love about the hobby.

Last edited by packs; 10-14-2012 at 05:34 PM.