View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Default SABR "2010 Overlooked 19C BB Legend" Vote Results

For the second year in a row, the SABR 19th Century Committee has voted on the most deserving 19th Century "Legend" not already enshrined in the BB HOF. Last year was a near tie between Pete Browning and Deacon White, each far out-pacing the others with Browning getting the nod. Ten Legends were again selected for this year's ballot, seven returning from last year and three new candidates. The 2010 results are as follows:

Deacon White 418 points
Bill Dahlen 339 points
Harry Stovey 303 points
Ross Barnes 285 points
Tony Mullane 278 points
Bob Caruthers 200 points
Jack Glasscock 194 points
Doc Adams 188 points
George Van Haltren 145 points
Bobby Mathews 119 points

FWIW, research material was made available and summarized in biographies for each candidate which made for some interesting reading.

As some of you may recall, I've always put in a good word for Deacon White whenever the topic of deserving HOFers surfaces. So I, for one, was glad to see this result. Now I don't expect to see a 19th century Legend enshrined anytime soon, but if and when the HOF voters get serious about adding some of the games most deserving players, perhaps Deacon White (& Pete Browning) will get the recognition they deserve.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers