View Single Post
Old 06-20-2003, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Default Ebay Fraud Story

Posted By: Jon Canfield

I do not know either of the people who were involved in this "dispute" so my post is not rendering verdict on the chain of events that transpired in this case. However, I feel that this topic, “eBay Fraud”, is an important one. I have had about 900 transactions on eBay (even though my feedback only reflects about half of those). Granted, 900 is a far cry from some people’s, but I do feel my experience will validate my beliefs. I do feel fraud is rampant on eBay, and I’ve had a few experiences with bad sellers but luckily I have avoided being burned. First and foremost, as already mentioned, always pay with a credit card when possible. I have probably purchased over 20 items in which I made payment and the item was never sent. In all of these cases, I simply called my credit card company, filled out the 3 minute form, and bam – charge was gone. It’s truly that simple and the best protection I have EVER had. Aside from this, I did have one transaction once where I purchased an autograph for a fairly large sum of money. I sent payment via money order. The seller never sent the item and for whatever reason (and I can’t remember why now), I could not stop payment on the money order. I was pretty sure I was going to be out $1000+, so in a last ditch effort, I contacted the Attorney General of the seller’s state. Well, within 3 days, I had received an apology phone call from the seller, a complete refund including the extra .79 cents the money order cost me, and another apology letter with my refund! So, if you do get burned, try this avenue – it worked great for me…