View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 09:44 PM

Default Busy Weekend - First 2012 P/U's

Action weekend for hunting sports antiques...I went to a paper show in Golden Gate Park yesterday in S.F. held at the Hall of Flowers...I didn't get there till about an hour and forty five before they closed. They hold that show twice a year I believe it is...Over the years I've gone to it and found practically nothing...then again I've gone to it and scored big...see this link for an epic c1914 All Vallejos vs Yosemites of San Francisco football broadside I picked up there in 2010....

Anyway..I missed the last show...and was determined to make it to this one. I wasn't in the mood to spend much money after the golf clock I just got so what ever I found had to be eBay flip-able or too good to pass up...bingo...

http://www.allalaskasweepstakes.org/History.html
I picked up something I'm wild over and is guaranteed to test the limits of this boards "all sports inclusive policy" LOL...Dog Sled Racing!!!!! I spotted this photo below within the first twenty minutes and it was love at first bite..I mean site. 31 1/2” x 13” 1908 photo from Nome Alaska of an early dog sled race team...titled: ”BERGER’S RACE TEAM – FIRST ANNUAL ALL ALASKA SWEEPSTAKE”, see link above to All Alaska Sweepstakes website. From a cursory review I believe this team won the Sweepstakes in 1909..where as my photo is marked 1908...It will be fun to research this. I took the photo of it last night on the fly in my trunk as leaving the show...yeah has some damage....but find another...it'll frame up nice

c1908, 31 1/2” x 13”
Photobucket

http://beercanhistory.com/regal.htm
So then today I hit the Sacramento Antiques Fair...I had finished two combs and was about to leave for church, but would have been early so decided to take one more quick run thru...and there it was....the dealer didn't have it out earlier...a late 1950's/early 60's advertising sign for Regal Pale. It wasn't cheap but I couldn't leave without it. Funny thing...we were talking and the dealer said he'd gotten it at Alameda last week...He said it was about 6:00AM and a guy was unloading a whole collection of Regal Pale stuff and people were surrounding the guy like sharks and buying up everything...said this was the only sports sign and he got it and he had to pay money for it....So essentially it hasn't been out for sale too long...today or last week! I found out a lot about Regal Pale in a page linked above. It's really late for me to collect but I couldn't resist it's size and impact...As I mulled it over I concluded I can'tever recall seeing any advertising signs with boxing graphics of it's quality...

31 3/4" x 20 1/2"
Photobucket