View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 11:09 PM
John

Default Clare Randolph

I’m late to the party on this thread, but I really enjoyed it. Lots of great OL discussed and images posted.

I just picked up my first matchbook and I thought it would fit in this thread. Clare Randolph was never considered a big star (overshadowed by the great Mel Hein, he did get some recognition late in his career), but his name is listed as the starting Center in just about every Spartans/Lions boxscore I’ve looked at from 31-36 including the 32 "ironman game" game against the Packers, the first unofficial NFL championship game against the Bears (32) and the championship win against the Giants in 35.

According to this PFRA article, his claim to fame was the ability to tackle Bronko Nagurski one-on-one: http://www.profootballresearchers.or.../20-04-761.pdf

Not a bad thing to be known for.

As a collector, I got a good deal - I was the only bidder and picked up the matchbook for a $1.99. I know very little about these and have some questions: Is there such a thing as a 3x5 penny sleeve? Jeff mentioned 3x5 top loaders and six pocket sheets, but with cards I always use a penny sleeve first, so I was wondering if I could do the same with this matchbook?

Also, what year is this Matchbook? 34 or 35 maybe? There was no info in the listing. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Randolph_matchbook_2.jpg (70.2 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg Randolph_matchbook_2_upside_down.jpg (71.0 KB, 259 views)

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 07-02-2016 at 11:21 PM.