View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 09:02 AM
Doug Doremus

Default T218's--

Hi Josh,

Where this thread belongs is an interesting administrative question.
As opposed to many of the other B/S/T sub-forums, this one doesn't specify baseball. So in that respect, this could be the right place for it, though I do usually associate the B/S/T sections, aside from the auctions, with baseball.

When I've posted or looked for T218's in the past, I've usually gone to the Postwar Cards & Watercooler Talk/Boxing sub-forum, but of course that would exclude more than half the cards in the set.
Everything Else is also a possible sub-forum. Apparently, it's a grey area.

Whatever, it's a great set to collect--beautiful cards, a hundred years old, lots of hall-of-famers from several sports, and still quite affordable. It's one of only two sets I've actually completed, and that can be done for $500-$1,000, Fair or better condition.
The ones that got me first [after Jack Johnson] were the billiards cards, particularly the the playing poses, which are a classic study in bridge techniques and still quite applicable today. If I owned a pool hall, or even had a table in my basement, I'd make a wall display of those.

One good and inexpensive way of collecting them: Get a big bunch cheaply to begin, and go from there.
If you're looking for a small, inexpensive bunch, I've got a few dozen doubles, from Poor to VG-Ex.

If you like the cards of antiquity in general, you'll love these. Good luck.

Doug

Last edited by dougscats; 07-12-2015 at 09:09 AM.