View Single Post
Old 04-26-2024, 09:57 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
In the current strikeout era there seems to be an epidemic of injuries requiring Tommy John operations. Could this be related to the proliferation of 100 mph fastballs currently? Any old timer with such an injury wouldn’t be throwing as fast or would have an abbreviated career. I’m of the opinion that the current era of “heat” is related to the increased incidence of elbow injuries.
As much as I like Ohtani, with two TJs under his belt, I think his future as a pitcher with the Dodgers may be wishful thinking.
I agree completely. This reminds me very much of a guy who is seemingly forgotten, but whose work I believe deserves further study: Mike Marshall. A somewhat short, fattish guy who pitched incessantly and featured a screwball (now no doubt called four or five other things by the creative geniuses who feel the need to rename things every few years to help justify their jobs). For a guy who threw ALL THE TIME and did so at a high level, I believe he was/is ignored because he rubbed the establishment the wrong way. But when you have Tommy John himself extolling Marshall's theories of pitching and kinesiology, you should sit up and pay attention. SABR gives us a great recap of Mike and his careers. https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/mike-marshall/

BTW_ cool video-- thanks for the link.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.