View Single Post
Old 12-14-2014, 06:41 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Roberto Clemente!

I have been collecting Clemente for 35+ years. My longer story is on the board somewhere. Short version is I was a "collector" for as long as I can remember. Started with comic books. Got into collecting cards in ~1978 Went to first show at the coliseum motor inn (a monthly show in Long Island, NY) - Was OVERWHELMED with all the "old cards". For some reason The Clemente rookie in a dealers case really stood out to me (I was also excited because it was the most valuable card in the set and a bargain (listed in the cpu/ccp at $86) for sale at $68. A couple of hours and lots of crying, begging, negotiating and whining -Mom shelled out $48 ($47 more than I had ever spent on a card) for that Clemente rookie. I started getting more of his cards. I saw he was in a lot of the obscure harder to find sets (I always loved a challenge). I later learned about him as a person and knew I had picked the right guy. My collection is at a point where there are less than 5 items I know exist that I do not have and wish to own. I'm not holding my breath, but I know anything is possible! ........And yes, I still have that rookie (most meaningful card in my collection)

Ps. I have some pretty rare Aaron items- PM me if you are interested.