View Single Post
Old 12-11-2001, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Default Banned In The USA, I Was Banned In The USA

Posted By: warshawlaw

I'm not talking about a little overgrading. I have no expectation that everyone will agree on every card and I have some margin for disagreement when I look at a card. What I find objectionable is where a card plainly does not meet any reasonable criteria for the grade stated. I use the f---it standard: if I open the box and say "f--- it", the card goes back. Take the T207 Johnson in this lot as an example. To me and I think most everyone else with any experience in cards, saying that the card is ex-mt requires clean front and back with most of the original gloss intact and rules out creases of any type, corners that are any more than a bit blunted, edge notches from rubber bands and any other real damage to the card. When Lipset says ex-mt, I expect a clean card with four decent corners, clean borders and clean surfaces. What I got was far from it. Had I sent the card to SGC, I would have expected to get back a vg-ex at best, which is a long way from ex-mt.

Incidentally, Lipset responded to my post with a long and insulting email that I would just as soon not bother to post here. Suffice it to say that while he and I will never see eye to eye on this issue, this forum is providing feedback to dealers of his ilk and they are listening.