View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Dean C.

My absolute favorite has been (and always will be) 1971 Topps. I started collecting baseball cards in 1984, and it wasn't long before I checked out what earlier cards looked like. That's when I "found" the '71s. I started building my set card-by-card that year, back when NM commons could be had for an incredible 15 cents each (with high numbers costing a whole $1.00!). I was always very fussy about the cards I picked for my set, and I also took some time off now and then, so, yes, it took me quite a while to complete it -- 28 YEARS, in fact! I just celebrated the completion of my NM 1971 Topps set in January!! I know some folks prefer to build a set using whatever cards they can find, but I can't see the point of buying a card that you're only going to upgrade later. That's one of the chief reasons it took me so long to finish my '71 set. Now that it's done, I've started to focus on finishing some of my other sets, namely my '59 Topps and '68 Topps, both of which are at about 90% complete.