View Single Post
Old 07-02-2021, 09:38 AM
M@rk K3mm3rl3

Default Do these Exhibits exist?

Attempting to resurrect this thread. Fred (whiteymet) and l have been talking about these cards recently and have expanded the list a bit.
Fred thinks they appeared in error in the Standard Card Catalog prior to the 2012 edition (and I'm not sure whether they still appear in later editions of the Catalog).

The last time around the forum seemed to agree that none of these four cards exists without the "An Exhibit Card" legend:

Appling
Bearden
Dillinger
Keller

Working on this set, I found two more that are questionable:

Branca
Doerr

Does anyone have either of these without the "An Exhibit Card" legend?

There are also a couple of others that I've come across on checklists, but not seen in person (or in pictures)

Doby "Printed in USA" with the "An Exhibit Card" legend

It seems unlikely that the "Printed in USA" ever carries the "An Exhibit Card" legend, as it's a later issue, and ESCO had already scratched it out on the plate in the later "Made in USA" versions. Anyone?

Rizzuto

Rizzuto is also listed this way (with and without the AEC), but the "without" version seems to be the "small image" Rizzuto -- same card but with different descriptors. Thoughts?

Berra Printed in USA

The Berra "Printed in USA" is also listed as with and without the AEC, but this one is opposite. No one seems to have a PIU Berra with the AEC legend. I suspect that only the Made in USA Berra exists with the AEC legend.

Vern Stephens (Browns, batting) without Made in USA

Fred thought this card (and the Branca) appear on my list of unresolved because of cropped photos in for-sale offerings that chopped off the bottom of card, hence, no Made in USA. Does anyone have the Stephens Browns card with no legend at the bottom?

Just for completeness, there are other cards listed as existing “with and without” AEC, and I have both versions of these:

Willard Marshall
Bobby Thomson
"Ritchie" Ashburn
Stanky throwing

Last edited by metroac; 07-02-2021 at 06:04 PM. Reason: clarity, inaccuracy in original post