View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Default 1932 Cubs Team issue small cards - revisited ?

Posted By: Eric

LL..

Sometime last year, a collector emailed me after seeing the DiMaggio transfer on my site. He said that he had just bought two full sheets of originals, and wanted to pass along the information he had. I thought I saved the scan somewhere that he sent me..I'll email it over if I can track it down. Anyways, the full sheet had ten transfers on it, and was pretty large. This page of transfers was also stapled to a cardboard backing by a single staple..probably to protect the delicate transfers. The page this collector had included the DiMaggio, along with a football player that was supposed to resemble Bronco Nagurski, also generic images of a tiger, a cowboy and a pirate. I can't remember what else was on there..but the others were generic images too. Although this collector had no idea who produced the set, he was advised by someone else that it was produced by Leaf in 1948. I don't know anything about that set, so I can't speculate as to whether or not there's any validity to this. Given the size of the sheet he sent me a scan of though, the only way it could have been affiliated with Cracker jack would have been through some kind of mail redemption or store pick-up offer I would think. They weren't bent..so they obviously weren't distributed in a packaged box of CJ's. I've seen other labelled baseball players aside from DiMaggio..so there was more than one sheet produced. A lot on Ebay last year included a good 6-8 different transfers, strictly confined to baseball players..it stands to reason that many different sheets could have been made. Anyways..that's the dope I've got..

E.