View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 03:10 PM
John

Thanks Chris for bringing this up. I mentioned some concerns via IM, so just to play devil's advocate this time - it's pretty cool to think that Bronko Nagurski may have collected cards. What I recall from the auction was that the Chicles were beaters, I don't think I saw one that had a chance of pulling more than a "1"/"10"/Poor, so that could've been a rational for not grading them. He didn't have a Nagurski either. Also, the set was pretty far from complete, but interestingly included a few high numbers. There was a wrestling card included that wasn't in as bad of a shape as the Chicles and also a matchbook, but it was the 36, not one of the earlier ones that don't come around often. What was lending credence to this being his real collection for me was that there were two checks and a a few modern throwback type items that it seemed plausible companies may have mailed to Nagurski as a thank you or courtesy.

All in all very interesting and I'm glad I saw it, but some red flags - would have liked if the LOA from the family member had been revealed... wondering if it could've been a distant family member? And definitely interesting to think of guys from the 30s wanting a card of themselves as that would seem a more modern phenomena.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 01-03-2016 at 03:13 PM.