View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtricks View Post
As a 26 year old getting back in the hobby after a 15 year hiatus, I was immediately drawn to vintage, more specifically T206 to start given the recent press. I realized quickly that the world of modern cards had changed and moreover was confusing. Graded cards were also foreign to me, but a welcome surprise.

The history behind these cards amaze me still and I don't see that stopping anytime soon. I think there is also a sense of comfort in the "known". When you are collecting these sets you know what you have and what your are getting into. In my opinion modern is the exact opposite.

I'm sure there will be many of my generation to follow that will have a similar thought process. And with many of these sets hitting or close to hitting the 100 year mark doesn't hurt...
Steve, I just love to hear of a 26-year-old drawn to vintage! Sounds like you agree with my philosophy that these cards represent the history of the game you can hold right in your hand! The modern/new card market on the other hand is based on speculative and largely transient demand, directed towards unproven players, with the demand for even scarce variations playing out when the player in question falters, or even if he doesn't, when the next hot item takes its place.

Best regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 10-08-2012 at 06:02 PM.