View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Default Profession Card Graders

Posted By: DJ

David,

In response to you, most autograph authenticating hire people who are "known to the hobby", but does that make them "experts"?

After all, a few of those names on the PSA/DNA and JSA list were at one time hotel rats, chasers. I can think of Zach Rullo and Kevin Low that come to mind right away and even Steve Grad from the get go. How can a hotel chaser who just managed to track doen Bob Denver be able to authenticate a Thomas Jefferson signature? When you send Thomas Jefferson to PSA/DNA, who looks at it? John Reznikoff?

When you get something authenticated by one of the big authenticating companies, who actually looks at the piece? Does Jimmy? Does Jimmy's worker Jeremy? That was the key issue when Joe Orlando was signing the certs at one time for PSA/DNA.

In most part, these companies are positive for the business and do a decent job, but I think these people have to be trained to be able to look for key problems and match the scans with the items in their hand.

I think with cards, you most certainly need to know what you are looking for and I'm sure experienced people are brought in to the job. Vintage cards are tricky and often confusing and I can't say they can just pull someone off the street and say "SLAB THIS STRIP CARD!".

DJ