View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 07:30 PM

Default Catalogue for the “365 days of Roberto Clemente” thread

Welcome to the Catalogue for the “365 days of Roberto Clemente” thread.

Following a few notes on the purpose, content, and organization, you will find a categorized text listing of virtually every unique item appearing here and where to find it (both within the initial 910 posts, and as periodically updated, the following posts as well).

Purpose: building on the idea and work of OP docpatlv, with the extraordinary head start this has provided, the grandest vision would be that over time this thread becomes a collaborative effort at a comprehensive catalogue of every piece of Clemente memorabilia ever produced (personally-owned items preferred).

<>the specific purpose of the following ‘catalogue’ is to help forum users locate images/info for an item of interest to them, to compare to their own collection, to check whether something is already on display to prevent a duplicate upload if it’s not their intent to duplicate, and to check whether an item is already displayed before requesting a different member to post something that seems missing.

Current total: thread stands at ~722 distinct items imaged (last updated Apr-26-2020)

Notes/Editorial decisions:
-I initially built a sequential list to ensure not missing anything, but by the end it became clear that such an unwieldy list was only going to be useful by re-ordering it into a handful of broad categories, to facilitate easier searching at a glance. These are divided into a few separate posts, keeping the entire list conveniently on a single page of the forum. Occasional cross-referencing seemed helpful, but I minimized this to reduce duplications and so as not to create endless subdivisions of categories. (I am aware this resulted in the lighters ending up in the “toy” category---I suppose what can be said about that is that it is a good thing for the hobby [and indeed humanity] that there weren’t enough related examples to warrant creating a wholly separate ‘Incendiary devices’ category…)

-I debated it, but in the end everything is included,* even amateur art pieces (and especially the hand puppet ), though in the case of some items that defied easy titling, I opted to group them together and title under an entry such as “various [XYZ].”
<*a caveat regarding completeness is that for me the Net54 pages frequently fail to load images that are there, while not indicating a file is missing (perhaps it is a compatibility issue for the browser I use); anyway, refreshing always works, but I have to guess there is something else there, such as when the OP has stated “2 images of such and such”. I’ve gone through it thrice over for omissions, but if I’ve missed anything worth adding, let me know.>

-I’ve restated the item description and issue date asserted by the posting member, unless there is debate, in which case I provide the one on my interpretation to be that which the group settled on; (or if it’s something relatively common that I am confident enough about myself to relabel with its conventional designation).

-I’ve listed the date out front when it seems an essential part of the “published” item; I retain it following, in round brackets, when it seems to me a useful descriptor, but less defining of what the piece is. Occasionally confusion may be created when there is something described as a “196X Team photo” that is an image of that year’s team, but actually reprinted more recently vs. more usually, items that were produced contemporaneously; I’ve tried to navigate this.

-other descriptors are chosen here to provide the most succinct possible explication of the discussion surrounding the item; refer to the pertinent area of the thread for the full discourse.

-for items posted in duplicate I give both page/post references (only actual different items, not just when a reply “quotes” the original post and the same image tags along in the quote).

-[pg number] in square brackets refers to the thread page number where you will find the initial image posted; [post #] in square brackets is obviously the initial post, which I added for precision, but my experience is that using the navigation “Page X of X” near the bottom of a screen is the fastest way to get somewhere. (Quick tip: if the page you want is in the middle of the range and not displayed, just click any and then replace the tailing page number of the page’s web address with the page number you want, since the web addresses for these Net54 pages are quite short and tidy, and so are easy to manipulate.)

-Finally, I note that by some happenstance the catalogue begins as post #911, so now you can remember: the next time you have a Clemente collectible emergency and need to source an image, you know where to go where you can text-match through the screen using your browser’s “find” function and immediately know which post to jump to…

The End.

And now,
The beginning…

Last edited by Empty77; 06-11-2020 at 10:09 PM. Reason: updated item count