View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 07:47 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
"Are you looking for anything specific?"

"No, just looking."

"Well, let me know if you need any help."

I must hear this or some close variant on it 50x a day at the National. I've always wanted to respond with: "No, I think I will just stand there with my thumb up my butt instead, waiting for a voice inside my head to answer my question."
That's a little harsh - says a dealer who has definitely said this. It's just polite nothing, the little noises we make to help the world go 'round.

So my two responses in a row are on a similar issue. Let's have a look from the dealer's perspective. Do you know how many times I've asked someone if they're looking for something specific and they say "no" while standing in front of a showcase full of 60's and 70's rookies. Then they walk down my table and look into another case and say something like "Oh, you have 1948 Bowman Football? I need a ____________" There have also been times when I'm told "No, just looking" and something happens that starts a conversation and finally after we've talked he admits he's looking for VG 1953 Bowman Color commons and he has his list with him. So disingenuous noises happen on both sides of the table. I'm not a bitter person by nature, so I just chalk it up to life, the universe, and everything. But that may be the reason some dealers try harder to engage the people on the other side of the table.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 03-01-2017 at 07:53 AM.