View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 08:08 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
I highly doubt they’re off the original negatives if they’re done by brace of Highlander players. Burke/brace Printed prewar photos of duplicate negatives of conlon Van Hoyme and other photographers. The only way this can be off the original negative, as if somehow they got one of the original negatives from that era which I highly doubt based on what I’ve seen. They were obviously not the photographers of prewar images.
What Ben said. I have seen a great many Burke/Brace 2nd and 3rd generation negatives that were re-shot from various print sources ranging from original photos all the way down to newsprint sources. While some are still quite nice, and produced attractive reprints, expanding the catalog of available player images appears to have been the primary concern. Restrikes from these 2nd generation negatives were available from George Burke in the 1930's and 40's, George Brace from the 1950's on, and his daughter took over print production as Brace's health failed in later years. She continued producing prints pretty much right up until Rogers "bought" the archive (I use quotes there, because he defaulted on the payments).

Because George Burke did not begin shooting baseball players until 1929, as Ben said, any negatives of Highlanders players that Mary had available in the 1990's would most likely have been 2nd generation when they were shot (photo of a photo). Any prints produced from those negatives in later years would technically be classified as Type 4. While they could still be fun additions to a Highlander fanatic's collection, I wouldn't expect them to have more than a nominal collector value.