View Single Post
Old 06-15-2022, 04:01 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
That's an understandable but not necessarily accurate assessment, especiall the assumption that the glance and return will actually ferret out trimmed cards. I doubt that is the case. The issue is four-fold:

--CSG is authenticating raw cards it doesn't actually grade.
--PSA is authenticating other TPG holders.
--There is a risk of false positives. I know several professional, reputable sellers who've had cards rejected, killing deals. I know these dealers are good enough to spot fakes and alterations. Mistakes cost money.
--The program is not voluntary. If I buy a card from a professional seller I've dealt with for years I don't need some jackhole at eBay mandating that I have to send the card to CSG. If I want to do that, I can do it myself.

It is inevitable that this mandatory program will end up as a 'wonderful new service for a modest fee' for sellers at some point. Meaning the buyer ends up paying for it in the end. Worst case scenario, it is a % charge like a service fee, which will give eBay a windfall profit on expensive cards. Just another profit center.
Some false positives maybe, but less "items not as described" too.

Ebay can raise their fees anytime they want. If they want to charge more now they can, with or without this authentication service.

The grievances on this thread seem like really minor points. The upside to you as a seller is that buyers on ebay will have more confidence in the items they are buying and be willing to buy more. Which means you and other legitimate sellers will get more sales.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk