View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 11:18 PM
David Kathman

I have a couple of updates to this post. First of all, I did hear back from Lew Lipset, who said that as far as he knows, Clayton Schweitzer, the source of his checklist and other info on T213-3s, did not publish anything on T213s before Lew's Encyclopedia. He also said that he has been in touch within the past year with Schweitzer, who is still alive and well and still has all his T213s.

In the original post, I wrote: "I'm not aware of any more checklists or articles about T213s between 1948 and 1977, though it's possible that I'm missing something." It turns out that I was missing something. E. C. Wharton-Tigar, the prominent British card collector behind the World Tobacco Issues Index (1956), put out a series of "Cartophilic Typed Listings" with updated checklists and other information on various tobacco card sets from the WTI. Wharton-Tigar's Cartophilic Typed Listing #14, issued in 1966, included updated checklists on American tobacco baseball sets, including at least T210 and T213 (plus others, I assume). Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of this list, but a couple of articles providing additions to Wharton-Tigar's checklists subsequently appeared in Card Collector's Bulletin. One of these I've already posted: in the December 1, 1966 CCB (#165), Bob Solon wrote about T210s and the growth of that set's checklist over the years as more cards were discovered. Solon wrote that Charles Bray's 1950 Book of Checklists listed 531 cards in the set, "The 1960 Catalog jumped this number to 563, and our much-esteemed British traveler, E. C. Wharton-Tigar, raised the ante to 580 in his list #14." Solon then reported on the discovery of 29 more new T210s, bringing the total known to 609. I posted that article last year in this thread: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=225026. I didn't understand at the time what Solon meant by Wharton-Tigar's "list #14".

In the April 1, 1968 Card Collector's Bulletin (#173), Rich Egan had a short article (below) in which he mentioned Solon's additions to the T210 checklist in "Wharton-Tigar's Cartophilic Typed Listings #14", and then reported seven additions to Wharton-Tigar's checklist of T213-2 from the same publication. They include four team variations of known players, two previously unknown players, and the "Brooklyn" (vs. "Brooklyn Nat.") variation of Hummel. I don't know how many T213-2s Wharton-Tigar had in his 1966 checklist, but presumably it was between 139 (the number listed by Burdick in his 1948 checklist) and 144 (the 151 from the 1977 Sports Collectors Bible list, minus the 7 additions listed by Egan). If anybody knows the whereabouts of a copy of Cartophilic Typed Listing #14, I'd really love to see it.