View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
Remarkable!

I've found somewhat similar in that the people I've bought items from are thrilled to find someone who cares about the story. The individual who sold me the postcards told me how the baseball it came with (which originated from the 1945 game and includes guys like Ted Williams and Stan Musial [in what I believe was the first time they played against each other] but is also super shellacked so the eye appeal is a bit less).

Anyways, he was thrilled to share the story of how his Dad was buddies with Jack Phillips who gave him the ball, postcards and a program from the game (which is incredibly beaten up, but still pretty cool). He also shared a conversation his Dad had with Stan Musial.

Ironically because of the communication I prefer when I can find items on eBay over items at auction houses because of the option to communicate and hear some of the story. I was able to pick up Bob Scheffing's program from the 1945 series along with the last ball used in the series-winning game 6 at auction which was super cool, but wish there was someone on the other end who would have shared some of the stories with me...
I couldn't agree more!
The back story pedigree/ provenance is what can singularly make a neat, extra cool and meaningful IMHO.