Thread: January Pickups
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 09:45 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default January Pickups

It may take me another few decades, but I’m still ostensibly collecting the entire ‘56 Topps set. Been a while since I added to it, but with some negotiating and the 15% eBay coupon last week, I was able to land this for well under $50:

I think Feller is underappreciated today by collectors, at least in comparison to his stature in the 1980’s. I get why he’s not held in the same regard as Koufax or Ryan, but still - for his times Bullet Bob was the real deal. Fastest of his era, no doubt - and some modern physics finagling has one of his recorded pitches as being above 107 MPH based on how today’s technology works. More complete games than wins, and he would have easily had over 300 had he not lost four years in his prime to WWII. I met Bob at a card show in Charlotte, NC around 1990 and I remember him taking the time to point out the uniform he was wearing in the picture I was getting him to sign, and the details, where the picture was taken and how you could tell, etc. He had a bit of a reputation as a curmudgeon by the time the card and auto era was upon us, but he was nice to me for a few mins once upon a time. Good memories.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-02-2019 at 10:12 AM.