View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 09:13 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnVT View Post
Seems to me like the rare and important postcards featuring HOF players are becoming a real niche in the hobby. Is it me, or do others see the postcard side of the hobby becoming more appealing to mainstream collectors.
Some big time collectors have been in on this little secret for a long time. When you look at guys like Kevin Struss, JC, Jeff P, and Jeff Lichtmann, these are very sharp and shrewd collectors who found these treasures years ago. They zigged when others zagged.
If you had told me 3 years ago that I would collect postcards, i would tell you that you are crazy. I almost returned my first PC before it even got delivered! I didn't think my OCD could handle an oversized card. I was wrong.
When I was a 10 year old reading my Beckett Magazine, it certainly wasnt postcards that I drooled over. But we as collectors change and Mature. We try new things. We begin to value rarity over grades. We find beauty in a big sepia or black and white photo-image that you don't find in colored artist's rendering (not a shot at standard cards. I love those too). I think most guys who won't buy a postcard have never actually held a Rose Co or a Novelty Company in their hands (there aren't that many out there). But yes, I agree with you that more folks are opening up to pcs.