View Single Post
Old 10-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Dave Grob

Default Understanding Context

In response to your question about how old the person on the left is, I won’t venture a guess as it is not germane to the point I apparently failed to properly make or express in manner that was understandable. My apologies to you and the other readers for that. My post was about looking at the image with through the filters of context. Here we have the filters of age and the fact that these men are professional baseball players. Both the labeled 1879 Dubuque Rabbits photograph and the composite are proffered as being the same group of men from the same time frame.

Since there is single date offered (1879) as the basis of analysis, we can make observations based on the known age at the time of individuals and the group as a whole. We can also make observations that are contextual since these men (group or composite photograph) are then proffered to be the same group of professional baseball players. Using 1879 we can then state the men are:

Charles Comiskey: 20
Charles Radbourn: 25
Bill Gleason: 20
Tom Sullivan: 19
L.P. Reis: 21
Tom Loftus: 23
Jack Gleason: 25

Since the composite photo is used as the basis for comparative analysis to the offered photo of the 1879 Dubuque Rabbits, then you are left to decide if the players in the disputed photograph appear to be the same age as those in the composite, measured against the backdrop of what we know their ages to be at the common point of reference (1879).

Please know that my previous post and this one as well was intended to provide some thoughts on context as well as ways or metrics that can be used as perspective for the analysis and subsequent observations that you or anyone else might make. What conclusions individuals draw from using this information and/or protocols is up to them, be it for this issue or those in the future.

Dave Grob
Dave Grob1@aol.com