View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 01:18 AM
Mark

That's funny. The "context" that Dave Grob pointed out was that of a professional minor league team c1879. He pointed out 2 metrics within that context.

1) First metric - Players' ages. Do the players in your photo appear to be the right age for a professional minor league team (Dave actually listed the ages of some of the players you claim are in your photo). The answer is no, the boys in your photo appear to be way too young.

2) The second metric was mustache frequency for an 1879 professional minor league team. Not one player in your photo has a mustache. What are the chances of that? I'll give you a good estimate.

Let's say that just 1/2 of minor league players in 1879 had mustaches (I think it is actually more, but let's be conservative), the odds of having 9 players with no mustaches is 1/2 raised to the 9th power - the same as doing 9 coin flips and having them all come out heads. This comes out to about 1 in 500. That alone makes your entire claim about your photo highly unlikely.

Add to that the fact the the only verified actual Dubuque 1879 photo shows 7 of 10 players with mustaches - a critical point you clearly did not understand based on your earlier response. How fast one could grow a mustache has nothing to do with this. Most of the boys in your photo were probably too young to grow a mustache - that's why you don't see any.

Lastly there is no "point system" for comparing faces in photos - you'll have to invent your own. You can start with your claimed 1879 Radbourn (below center) - on his left is the real Radbourn c1875 (from HoF), on his right is the real Radbourn 1882. How many "points" would you give your guy?

[note to Scott F., - be nice, I enjoyed creating this post]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hoss Radbourn Bllomingotn 1878 NBL004.jpg (60.4 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg cc2.jpg (65.3 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg Providence NL 1882 NBL.jpg (69.0 KB, 270 views)

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 10-05-2014 at 10:08 PM. Reason: typo