View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 10:25 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
This pennant just sold in Hunt Auctions … the pennant is legit and the leather batter graphic varies a bit in these pennants … but this one looks strange to me compared to the one I have …

I’d love to know more details about these. Perhaps the first known “series” of similar style pennants made for different teams. My guess is pre-1910, before silk screening went commercial. The leather batter allowed for burning in detail that couldn’t be duplicated with sewn on graphics. I have three of these and they are all different sizes.
That's a super long one. It used to be mine, and re-surfaced in Hunts which closed today. The Batter looks like he had a little adhesive work done at some point, to overcome some loosened stitching. The outer cut of the die-cut Batter looks the same as yours. But the inner detail is much clearer on yours. Perhaps this is due to 100+ years of surface wear on the Hunt example, and perhaps yours was just burned in deeper by the "artist".

I suppose no two are exactly the same.... pretty cool. As I recall, the front of the Hunt's White Sox example faded nicely to an attractive baby blue. The reverse (unexposed) side was a darker navy blue. Great stuff!

Last edited by perezfan; 07-13-2021 at 10:27 PM.