View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 01:08 PM
Scott Silvers

Just came across this thread. I really think that the NNOF Thomas, along with a maybe 2 to 3 other cards from the junk wax era, have the potential to increase dramatically in value over the next 10 to 15 years. Misprint or error, it doesn't really matter. Just like the upside flying Jenny stamp or the 3 legged buffalo nickel (had to throw out some non card references), this card has a lot going for it ; initial mystery, hype, a HOFER's RC card, and unintentional scarcity. It doesn't matter if Thomas isn't in the same tier as Ruth, Mantle, Ripken, etc. When was the last time a rookie card of a HOFer came along (before the advent of 1/1's and manufactured SP's), and had such a short overall print run.

I think the true gems of the junk wax era (and there aren't many) have a lot more upside potential than most would probably think. First, like the Thomas NNOF, they are truly juxtaposed against an era of immense overproduction. Secondly, we are a little over that 25 year mark when traditionally the next generation of collectors, who have, or will come back to reminisce and collect their childhood...with an increasing amount of dispsible income. Lastly, the junk wax era and the few rarities found within it sits at the tail end of the 20th century. As we move further away from that into God knows what, I think a lot of collectors will give the 80's and 90's a second look in terms of the true rarities, top grade key cards, and perhaps to a lesser extent higher grade and still under valued (IMO) test issues such as Topps Mylar, '85 Topps Mini, etc.

Anyways, just my thoughts on it, but it should be fun to see where things go frome here.