Thread: August Pickups.
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 05:07 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Got this at the Christie's auction yesterday. The most I ever spent on an item for my women in baseball collection, but well worth it in my view. The cabinet card depicting her in uniform has twice sold for over $6,000. To me, the actual contract that made it possible is worth so much more. At least to me.

Lizzie Arlington (birth name Stride....she used Arlington as it was believed that a more European sounding name might bring more people to see her play) was the first woman to play in a minor league game. She pitched a scoreless ninth inning for the Reading Coal Baron's against the Allentown Peaches. Allentown included several players who either had played in the majors or were about to play there, including three Delahanty brothers (one of whom she got to pop out, another of whom touched her for a single). I believe she played second base for a good portion of the game as well.

Although it has not been confirmed, Ed Barrow (who signed her to the contract I just won) said she she also played in games for three other teams in the Atlantic League that year. I will do some research and see if this might be possible.

Anyway, this is the contract that made it all possible. The first woman ever to play in the minor leagues.

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 08-24-2017 at 05:07 PM.