View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Mikeknapp

In the early 90’s I went to a local card shop and found four large stacks of the WG4 Polo Grounds cards. At the time my interest in pre war cards was minimal. They were the only vintage cards in the shop and it was unusual for him to have such cards in his inventory. I have no idea where he obtained them. Nonetheless I thumbed through the stack and he had multiples of all of them. The condition of the cards was outstanding. He wanted 25 dollars for the Joe Jackson. Being a small minded hall of fame collector I purchased Cobb, Wagner, and Collins instead for 20 dollars each. I didn't buy the others as I thought three examples from the set were enough or my collection. He was asking 20 for HOFers and selling the commons for 5 dollars each. He even had the original box. They remained in his case for two years before he eventually closed his store and disappeared taking those Jacksons with him. I was in that store many times during that time and never gave those cards a second look. Oh well live and learn. At least I picked up the three and was smart enough to hold on to them. I still kick myself for being so short sighted. To this day I have no idea where he went. I am posting these pictures to give an idea of the average condition of those cards I passed on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1914 WG4 Collins.jpg (77.0 KB, 527 views)
File Type: jpg 1914 WG4 Cobb.jpg (76.4 KB, 529 views)
File Type: jpg 1914 WG4 H. Wagner.jpg (78.4 KB, 526 views)