View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Default 1957 Topps Basketball wrapper

Posted By: Vintage Basketball Pat

Alan...

While this particular article is well written and has some good information, let's not be fooled by the quoted prices. The last BFH Mikan that went on Ebay did not make reserve at $2200...and the most "knowledgable" collector in the vintage collecting circle quietly bid $1222. While they claim that the BFH Mikan is worth more, actions speak louder than words.

There is a familiar trend I've seen over the last 5 years. When someone has an item for sale, such as a BFH Mikan, Topps Test cards, Scotts cards, etc...then mysteriously the values seem to increase in the articles. Hmm...

Do I think that the Bell Brand Lakers cards are totally rare? - yes. Do I think that a common player in this set should sell for $2000? - no way. That is way too much.

For newer collectors, here are some maximum prices to ever pay, BFH Mikans - $1500-$2000 tops, Topps Test 20-25K complete, Lakers Bell Brand 15K...

Too often in our hobby, dealers disguise themselves as collectors. This destroys our great hobby, and falsely jacks up prices.

However, I did enjoy this particular article for the content discussing card rarity.