View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 09:28 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Philip Weiss is a legit auction house that covers a lot of areas besides sports memorabilia, and often has some pretty sweet items in many categories of collectibles. I haven't looked at this auction, but from what I have seen from them in the past, wouldn't think that any faulty autos were "peppered" into their auction intentionally. More likely would be them letting their guard down and a consignor slipping a few bad pieces in.

I would also re-iterate what I have said before: Proxibid is an AUCTION PLATFORM (i.e. piece of software). Just because there are a lot of bad auction houses out there that use it doesn't mean that everyone that uses it is shady. Same could be said of eBay: lots of shady characters, but some very good sellers too. Ebay just does a bit better of a job policing who is using their system.
Lance,

I agree in regards to Proxibid and Ebay, I am simply stating that a lot of these items I would expect to be listed with an auction house that has a main focus on sports memorabilia. To appeal to the larger target audience.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123