Thread: Why Autographs?
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
The over saturation of the autograph show in the late 90's soured me a bit. I can remember seeing, for the first time, a tiered price structure based on what's being signed at a National (good ole Reggie). Something didn't feel right about spending big money to get autographs of guys that made a great living in baseball (unlike Slaughter, Feller and so on).

This made me look into getting vintage autographs. I love those GPC's and other fulfilled autograph requests from HOFers to their fans. There was no thought of investment value. It was just a way for a fan to get a piece of their favorite player.
I was always torn about how cards shows became 'autograph' shows. For the most part the players only got an appearance fee. The promoter set the prices, including some requiring only items that were sold by the promoter got signed. I used to get mad when I'd hear people complain that Willie Stargell, Dick Allen, or Warren Spahn were "gouging" for their autograph. A lot of times the player didn't even know what was being charged. I'll never forget Lenny Dykstra asking me how much his autograph cost. When I told him it was free he said "Dude, that is still too much!". At another show Warren Spahn sat there for two hours, MAYBE signing 50 items. He told me he was paid $1500 plus expenses. The show was charging $20 per item. I couldn't tell you how many people walked away because of the cost. He seemed genuinely bummed.

I never paid for an autograph at a show. To me the value was in the interaction, or the history. Value isn't set by the promoter. To this day, I purchase autographs, not for a collection, but for the experience. Two recent pickups went to very happy and deserving homes. To people who appreciate the history and the human behind the piece. My enjoyment comes from the research, almost reliving the times, and getting it into the hands of someone whose enjoyment transcends the monetary value.

The autographs that have passed through my hands through the years will always be mine. My collection is in my head, my heart, and my hard drive.